Friday 12 March 2010

Roasted cauliflower, au grattin

The eternal question: what are we going to eat for dinner ? Guyuk and me settled on some salmon, but still, we had to decide what was going to go with it. Having seen recently a lot of recipes involving cauliflower, and the fact that I had a head waiting in my fridge reminded me about a recipe I had seen about roasting cauliflower.


For some reason, almost everyone commenting those recipes mentions that spreading cheese on this dish is nothing less than a sacrilege. How is that so ? I mean unless you want to spread mozzarella on it, but then again, I believe cheese certainly has it's place on those roasted beauties. It also helped that I had some remaining cheese from a fondue we ate mid-february to use up. The mix was actually gruyère cheese, with appenzeller (If you've never tried appenzeller, go buy some right now !)


Since there wasn't a lot of cauliflower, I decided to quarter some white mushrooms and to slice up half a red onion for more flavor in the dish. My cheese, because it was a fondue, had white wine with it. It worked beautifully with the flavors and I would recommend you try this. If you don't have, like me, insanely boozy cheese, I'd say roast for 25 minutes, then add cheese and white wine at that point, and put back in the oven to melt and one or two minutes to broil.



Roasted cauliflower, au grattin
Adapted from Use Real Butter

Ingredients
1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
8oz mushrooms, quartered
1/2 red onion, in slices
1 lemon, juice of (to taste)
1 cup melted cheese (double quantity if you use shredded)

3 cloves minced garlic, to taste (I used about 3 or 4 tsp)
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil (drizzle)
white wine (drizzle)

How to
Preheat oven to 400°F. Place the cauliflower, mushrooms, red onions and garlic in a baking dish so that everything sits in a single layer. Drizzle lemon juice, olive oil, and salt and pepper over. Toss to coat. Bake about 25 minutes minutes. Take out of oven, add cheese and white wine (if desired). Bake again for another 4-5 minutes, plus 1-2 minutes of broil to make the cheese golden. Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment