Wednesday 24 March 2010

Guacamole


It's now officially spring !

We've been having quite nice temperatures here in Quebec during march, ranging between 5-14C. We had no snow at all for a good part of the winter (and not at all during february). So I guess it's simply logic that right after spring, we start to have cold temperatures and snow forecasts. Right ? Why, yes, I found this logic of mine in a box of cereals, what's the problem ?

Last weekend, we had Guyuk's sister over at the house. We did have a good time catching up on an old Dongeon and Dragons game we had started several months ago. Of course, players get hungry. They need snacks. And regardless of the temperature, what better snack than some tortilla chips along with some spring-like greenish fresh homade guacamole ?

I had some avocados in my fridge, just ripe enough to be mashed. All the other ingredients were waiting patiently to be transformed. I like to use the electric hand mixer instead of a potatoes masher because I prefer the homogene and silky texture that the electric mixer gives me. Guacamole is quite easy: You chop chop chop, you're done. I had never been a fan of avocados before, but this guacamole, with just the right amount of salt, has converted me into someone who eats her fair share of the bowl (and now I must make more to satisfy everyone). I guess since I wasn't a fan of avocados, I tended to load the guacamole until the bowl was full. That's my preference, but the original recipe actually calls for far less stuff in it.

So, take my word, do some ! You won't regret it and you'll be the star of your next party !

Guacamole
Adapted from Use Real Butter

Ingredients
4 avocados, ripe
2 tomatoes, deseeded and minced fine
1 jalapeño, deseeded and minced fine (I actually use Tabasco sauce to taste here)
1 big yellow onion, minced fine
2 cloves garlic, peeled
1 lemon, juice of
salt to taste

How to
Halve the avocados and remove the pits. Scoop out the flesh into a sturdy bowl. Mash the avocado to a consistency of your liking. Smash or mince the garlic clove and sprinkle the salt over the garlic. Turn the knife blade on its side and press the salt into the garlic forming a paste. Add the paste to the avocado. Cut the tomatoes along their equators and remove the seeds. Dice the tomatoes to a consistency of your preference. Add to the avocado. Deseed the jalapeño and mince the pepper, or add Tabasco sauce to your liking. Add to avocado. Chop or mince the onion and add to the avocado. Mix the ingredients together and then pour lemon juice to taste. Add more salt if needed. If not serving right away, wrap the guacamole in plastic wrap, pressing the wrap down to touch the surface of the dip so you minimize the amount of air between the two layers. Refrigerate.

1 comment:

  1. I had the opportunity to try out this recipe once, with Kirsa. I was one of the greatest Guacamole I've tasted so far. Great for a snack or in fajitas.
    Thanks for sharing this recipe!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete